It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:25 am - Welcome to Southern Surf Fishing Dot Com!

Let's eat some Dusky Shark...

To Salt or not to Salt. That is the question....

Let's eat some Dusky Shark...

Postby Railroader » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:57 am

OK, the last of the ill-fated Dusky has been consumed, and I gotta say that it sure was some PRETTY meat. As for flavor, well, let's face it, there's a lot of better stuff out there.

Here's what I did with my share of Ol' Dusky, over a couple of cookin's....

The first batch was cubed up into small bite sized chunks, soaked in some Italian dressing, breaded with Zatarain's Fish Fry, and dropped into the fry-daddy...Talk about some fish that cooked up nice! Looked like something straight out of a restaurant! Sprinkle on a little Old Bay, dip 'em in Tartar Sauce, not too bad! But not GREAT, either.

I did a little diggin' on the 'Net for a grilled recipe, and decided to try this...

http://www.all-fish-seafood-recipes.com ... ange_Juice

Man, did I have high hopes for this one!! The marinade was really tasty, and made a nice glaze as the steaks were grillin'. The smell coming off the lid was AMAZINGLY nice. When plated up with foil Veggie Packs from the grill, grits, and a piece of cheesy garlic bread, it looked like Emeril himself had been out in the yard...

All I can say is that it was OK, nothing really spectacular flavor wise, to support the fine visual show that was put on. As we ate, we were trying to figure out what the meat itself was reminding us of...

We finally agreed on "flaky pork chops"... :lol:

Now, this had NOTHING to do with the field preparation that Aaron so expertly performed, because there was not even a HINT of a pissy flavor, nor did it have anything to do with the actual cooking of either batch, because I'm a damned fine cook.

It's just that Dusky Shark is some flat out bland stuff. Kinda got me to wondering if it was because it was a big shark. I've never kept one over about 3 feet or so, and then only Bonnetheads... :?

Anyway, that's my report.
Railroader
Site Moderator

Postby cpn_aaron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:06 am

I never keep them over 4' myself. Bigger sharks are tougher usually, and short of spinners and bt's the meat is made to be marinaded. It takes on flavors nicely, but isn't a center piece sort of fish.
tag 'em and toss 'em
http://na.nefsc.noaa.gov/sharks/
cpn_aaron

Postby bartyb » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:15 pm

I agree, I saved one piece out of the whole batch that went "naked" Just the milk/lemon juice soak. It had about as much "flavor" as a piece of washed out chicken. Now the rest, well, it took the marinade and rub nicely, Grilled up beeeutifully and tasted like mild pork or chicken. Very nice texture and juicy. Aaron did a superb job getting the fish field dressed to end up with a very paletable piece of meat.
I put the FUN in dysfunction
bartyb

Postby F.I.LetsGoFishing » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:17 am

I think that if I did not tell you what I was cooking then you would not have guessed.
If you approch it like a fish you will most likely be disapointed and if you treat it like chicken it will taste like chicken.
but If you treat it like something most people have never had such as Gator Frog or Turtle that is so fresh that it mat still quiver when dredge then you are in for a plesant supprize :P
I may find though, that once it has been frozen the story will change and that just as gator and frog, that firm scallopy texture is gone forever :(

The first two batches were salted , peppered and lemmon then simple flour dredged and fried. remindedd me why I dispise lemmon :evil:
Next batch , skipped lemmon just salt, pepper flour dredged and fried just to float and it was great

I think the secret is not to marinate but just dip into egg and salt / pepper the meat, (forget mixing things in the flour) dredge . but then again I like to butter my pompano like toast and grill em.
F.I.LetsGoFishing

Postby cpn_aaron » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:57 am

freezing doesn't change the texture Karl. Unlike some less firm fish which gets mushy, shark, swordfish, tuna are denser meat and hold up better to freezing than other fish. I don't freeze most fish, but shark I'll freeze. One you get to much to use all at once, and two it doesn't really get hurt in the process. I just flavor them up. We had some last night as pan braised with a mesquite marinade, ok, but I prefer baja chipotle. My only complaint was that I needed s better marinade.
tag 'em and toss 'em
http://na.nefsc.noaa.gov/sharks/
cpn_aaron

Postby F.I.LetsGoFishing » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:07 pm

cpn_aaron wrote:freezing doesn't change the texture Karl. Unlike some less firm fish which gets mushy, shark, swordfish, tuna are denser meat and hold up better to freezing than other fish. I don't freeze most fish, but shark I'll freeze. One you get to much to use all at once, and two it doesn't really get hurt in the process. I just flavor them up. We had some last night as pan braised with a mesquite marinade, ok, but I prefer baja chipotle. My only complaint was that I needed s better marinade.

To Try and quote Jim

HONK Wrong Just cook up some more and it was much different. Not musshy by any means but still lost that scallopy texture.
I have lived too much of my life in the swamps and from the waters with fresh as in still quivering food to be cooked.
it was still good but a big difference in texture.

But funny thing is I find some fish improve when frozen
F.I.LetsGoFishing

Postby bartyb » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:50 pm

I agree with Karl and experience...frozen shark is nothing more than CRAB BAIT!................Wheres that vomit emoticon

Hey Karl Good job using a slab of baby backs to help those shark bait fillets taste better :twisted:
I put the FUN in dysfunction
bartyb

Postby F.I.LetsGoFishing » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:20 am

bartyb wrote:I agree with Karl and experience...frozen shark is nothing more than CRAB BAIT!................Wheres that vomit emoticon

Hey Karl Good job using a slab of baby backs to help those shark bait fillets taste better :twisted:

I would not go that far. Was still pretty good when thawed just not the experience of the fresh.
Might have too treat it like The Pomps which I do not like fresh caught but rather prefer to freeze acouple weeks/months then thaw in salted and spiced water before cooking . Will try that on the next batch I pull out.
F.I.LetsGoFishing

Return to Fish Recipes